Amazon Local Cookies & Internet Advertising Policy
Cookies and How We Use Them
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and to provide services, such as interest-based advertisements. For information on the controllers of your personal information, see Controller of Personal Information in our Privacy Notice.
- Identifying you when you sign-in to our site. This allows us to provide you with product recommendations, display personalised content, recognise you as a Prime member, and enable you to use 1-Click purchasing, among other customised features and services we provide.
- Delivering content, including advertisements, relevant to your interests on Amazon sites and third-party sites. Our interest-based ads are subject to your preferences as described in the next section.
- Keeping track of your specified preferences. This allows us to honour your likes and dislikes, such as whether or not you would like to see interest-based ads. You may generally exercise your preferences through Your Account.
- Keeping track of items stored in your shopping basket.
- Conducting research and diagnostics to improve Amazon's content, products and services.
- Preventing fraudulent activities.
- Improving security.
Cookies and Browser Settings
The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. Additionally, you can disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons, such as Flash cookies, by changing the add-on's settings or visiting the website of its manufacturer.
On both Amazon-owned and operated sites and unaffiliated sites, Amazon displays interest-based advertising using information you make available to us when you interact with our sites, content, or services. Interest-based ads, also sometimes referred to as personalised or targeted ads, are displayed to you based on information from activities such as purchasing on our sites, visiting sites that contain Amazon content or ads, interacting with Amazon tools or using our payment services, like Checkout by Amazon. Click here for more information about the types of information that we gather.
We do not associate your interaction with unaffiliated sites with your identity in providing you with interest-based ads.
We do not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display our interest-based ads. However, advertisers and other third-parties (including the ad networks, ad-serving companies, and other service providers they may use) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalised ad or content are part of the group that the ad or content is directed towards (for example, users in the north west who bought or browsed for classical music). Also, some third-parties may provide us information about you (such as demographic information or sites where you have been shown ads) from offline and online sources that we may use to provide you more relevant and useful advertising.
Amazon offers you choices about receiving interest-based ads from us. You can choose not to receive interest-based ads from Amazon. You will still see ads but they will not be personalised. Please visit your Advertising Preferences page to learn how to set this preference. Also, as described above, you may modify the settings in your browser to notify you when you receive a new cookie and disable cookies altogether.